breaking news

Magazine Covers

Magazine Covers

Magazine Covers

Magazine Covers

Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok welcomed the newly released findings : The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, when it was blown out of the sky on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed

May 24th, 2018 | by Richard Paul
Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok welcomed the newly released findings : The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, when it was blown out of the sky on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed
Business and Finance
0

1200px-Associated_Press_logo_2012.svg

logo_passeye_color

Flight MH17: Investigators find ‘fingerprint’ that proves Russian missile downed plane over Ukraine

The passenger jet was headed from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, when it was blown out of the sky on July 17, 2014. All 298 passengers and crew were killed

Pro-Russian gunmen stand guard as Dutch investigators (unseen) arrive near parts of the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 at the crash site near the Grabove village in eastern Ukraine on November 11, 2014, hoping to recover debris from the Malaysia Airlines plane.MENAHEM KAHANA/AFP/Getty Images

BUNNIK, Netherlands — An international team of investigators said Thursday that detailed analysis of video images and photos has unequivocally established that the Buk missile that brought down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over eastern Ukraine nearly four years ago came from a Russia-based military unit, the clearest link yet published by the team to the involvement of Russian military in the deadly missile strike.

Prosecutors said they have presented their findings to Moscow and are seeking answers, but so far have not received a response. The international team running the criminal investigation appealed for help from witnesses who can testify about the involvement of the Russian military’s 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade based in the city of Kursk.

Russia has always denied involvement in the downing of the jet.

Head prosecutor Fred Westerbeke speaks next to a part of the BUK rocket that was fired on the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 during the press conference of the Joint Investigation Team, in Bunnik, on May 24, 2018. ROBIN VAN LONKHUIJSEN/AFP/Getty Images

Dutch prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said the Joint Investigation Team, or JIT, is not yet ready to name suspects, but added: “I can say that we are now entering the … last phase of the investigation. When we will be ready, it’ is not possible to say at the moment because there is still a lot of work to do.”

JET-articleLarge mh17-ukraine-malaysia-dutch-mourning-july-23 v90LrlR__400x400 crash21 9xRO0-1527162187-109948-blog-5849739_G VXZA7AULKFBNYJTZC2ZDODWA5Q s035428442 6f85cf5d2c51b4cbcb48b21b61f385cd download (26) UXQMOKV4HRA4RJLNXW2HUTXS3A mh17-wreckage2

222-5-600x360

Prosecutors said in 2016 that the plane was shot down by a Buk missile fired from territory controlled by Russia-backed rebels, using a mobile launcher trucked in from Russia and hastily returned there. Thursday’s presentation went a step further by identifying the exact unit allegedly involved and more details of the rocket involved.

A file photo taken on July 18, 2014 shows Alexander Hug, second left, Deputy Chief Monitor of the Organization for Cooperation and Security in Europe’s Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine, visiting the site of the crash of a Malaysian airliner carrying 298 people from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, near the town of Shaktarsk, in rebel-held east Ukraine.DOMINIQUE FAGET/AFP/Getty Images

Investigators now say that their careful analysis of video and photos from social media and analysis of parts of the rocket found at the crash scene traced its journey into Ukraine and had given them a “fingerprint” identifying the rocket and where it came from.

“All findings from this forensic investigation confirm the earlier conclusion of the JIT that Flight MH 17 was shot down by 9M38 series missile,” said Jennifer Hurst of the Australian Federal Police.

Ultimately, any suspects identified and charged will be prosecuted in Dutch courts — if they can be arrested and brought to trial.

A general view of the cockpit wreckage at the Gilze-Rijen Military Base on October 13, 2015 in Gilze-Rijen, Netherlands. Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images

Of the 298 people killed, 196 were Dutch, 42 Malaysian and 27 were Australians. Among more than 30 nationalities killed was a joint Dutch American citizen.

Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok welcomed the newly released findings.

“This is an important piece of the puzzle,” Blok said. “I am very impressed by the evidence that has been collected.”

Miners inspect a piece of debris found in a field from an Air Malaysia plane on July 18, 2014 in Grabovka, Ukraine. Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images

Leave a Reply